Big data analytics, blockchain technologies, and artificial intelligence force us to rethink existing business models and develop the organizations of tomorrow. Joining us on this episode of How AI Happens is four-time author, entrepreneur, future tech strategist, and The Digital Speaker himself, Dr. Mark van Rijmenam. As an expert on disruptive innovation like big data, blockchain, AI, and VR/AR, Mark explains how these emerging technologies can benefit organizations and how we can use them to develop products and services that are ready for the twenty-first century.
Joining us on this episode of How AI Happens is four-time author, entrepreneur, future tech strategist, and The Digital Speaker himself, Dr. Mark van Rijmenam.
Mark explains the extraordinary opportunities and challenges facing business leaders, consumers, regulators, policymakers, and other metaverse stakeholders trying to navigate the future of the internet; the important role that AI will play in the metaverse; why he believes we need to enable what he calls ‘anonymous accountability’; and how you can actively participate in building ethical AI.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Meet Dr. Mark van Rijmenam and gain some insight into his trajectory thus far.
- The role that AI and the blockchain played in Mark’s book, The Organisation of Tomorrow.
- What we can learn about feedback loops from the failures of Microsoft’s Tay chatbot.
- At what point technology shifts from a tool employed by practitioners to autonomous agent.
- Distinguishing between artificial general intelligence (AGI) and Super AI.
- Mark responds to those who believe we will never reach Super AI; it’s inevitable!
- The advent of the metaverse and why Mark believes it will unlock a trillion-dollar social economy, as per his book, Step Into the Metaverse.
- How Web 3.0 will allow us to reclaim control of our data, digital assets, and identity; moving from value extraction to value creation.
- Understanding the difference between the metaverse and Web 3.0 without conflating the two.
- How Mark sees AI participating in the metaverse and the role it will play in this ‘new world’.
- The dangers that come with the uncanny ‘deep fakes’ of the future.
- Our responsibility to properly verify the digital information we consume and how AI can help.
- What Mark means when he says we need to enable ‘anonymous accountability’.
- How to take advantage of the career opportunities of Web 3.0 and the metaverse and how you can contribute to building ethical AI.
“The social and the material [systems are] very good but, for the organizations of tomorrow, we need to add a third actor, which is the artificial.” — @VanRijmenam [0:03:05]
“Once we reach AGI, that will be a fundamental shift because, once we have AGI—which is as intelligent as a human being, but at an exponential speed—everything will change.” — @VanRijmenam [0:08:34]
“How can we create a metaverse that doesn’t continue on the path of the internet of today? We have this blank canvas where we can construct this immersive internet in ways where we do own our data, [digital assets, identity, and reputation] using a self-sovereign approach.” — @VanRijmenam [0:15:09]
“Technology is neutral. My objective is to help people move to the positive side of technology.” — @VanRijmenam [0:29:24]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: